Arcady-RBC Emerging Composer Competition
Submissions are now CLOSED for the 2023 RBC Emerging Artist Composer Competition.
See the winners of last year’s competition here.
Arcady is pleased to present the seventh annual Arcady-RBC Emerging Composer Competition for new works for voice and piano
The award: The winner of Arcady’s 2023 Emerging Composer Competition will have their work premiered during the 2023/24 season by members of Arcady’s professional ensemble. They will receive a recording and if desired, one-on-one sessions with esteemed Canadian composer and Arcady’s Resident Composer and Artistic Director Ronald Beckett (via Skype or in-person). Please note: If the premiere event is held as a live event, travel expenses to the premiere are the responsibility of the prize recipient (though composers’ attendance is not required at the premiere).
- Works must be written for solo voice or duet
- Works must include accompaniment for piano with the optional addition of one obbligato instrument (i.e. flute, oboe, violin etc.) or string quartet
- 3-5 minutes in duration
- May be secular or sacred\
- Rights to texts must be cleared, and evidence of copyright holder’s permission provided
- Composer will retain the copyright of the piece
- Composer may submit up to two compositions
- Arcady will retain the winning manuscript for future performances
- Arcady retains the right to not pick a winner if there is no suitable winner
- The competition is open to residents of any country
- Composers must self-identify as an emerging composer.
- All applicants must fill out the online application form by April 15, 2023 (by 11:59 PM EST at the latest).
- Submission materials should be uploaded to a folder in Google Drive, Dropbox, or a similar platform publicly accessible and linked in the application form.
Required materials include:
- Score(s) in PDF format
- List of works in PDF format (1 page maximum)
- Proof of rights to text in PDF format (if applicable)
- MIDI recording(s)/audio from a reading in MP3 format
The winner will be notified by May 20, 2023.
For additional information contact: [email protected]
Deadline: April 15, 2023, 11:59 PM EST
There is no fee to enter the competition, but applicants may make a donation to the non-profit organization to support the competition if they wish.
- Travis Reynolds – Los Angeles, CA (2022) – Winning piece: [by zero]
- Victor Avila – Ottawa, ON (2022) – Winning piece: Birds of Spring
- Julian Ward – Greenville, NC (2021) – Winning piece: Spirits of the Dead
- Isaac Ward – Greenville, NC (2021) – Winning piece: Sketch for soprano and piano
- Monika Gurak – Toronto, ON (2021) – Winning piece: Hope is…
- Bracha Bdil – Jerusalem, Isreal (2020) – Winning piece: My Snowman
- Sointu Aalto – Edmonton, Alberta (2020) – Winning piece: Yösinfonia, 1I
- Julijana Hajdinjak – Mississauga, Ontario (2019) – Winning piece: Moonset
- Haley Woodrow – Bedford, TX (2018) – Winning piece: Winter Light
- Ian Guthrie – Washougal, WA (2017) – Winning piece: Song of the Wood
- Dylann Miller – Aurora, ON (2017) – Winning piece: Two Irish Blessings
- Stephanie Orlando – Toronto, ON (2016) – Winning piece: A dream within a dream