Solo Opportunity with Arcady for International Artists
Designed for advanced singers, Arcady’s two-week intensive summer program in Brantford, Ontario, Canada will combine international emerging artists, Arcady mentors, and a youth chorus for a unique collaboration of generations. The two-week program will conclude with a performance of Ruth, an opera by distinguished Canadian composer, Ronald Beckett, on June 23, 2017 at the Sanderson Centre for the Performing Arts. All participants will receive coaching and training from Ronald Beckett and Arcady mentors which include some of the industry’s top performers. This program provides artists with the opportunity to learn and perform a complete role in a fully staged and orchestrated opera. The intensive program mirrors a professional experience in that singers are expected to prepare their role prior to arriving. Music and staging rehearsals begin on the first day of the program.
Ruth is a moving and dramatic musical story of faith, loyalty, family and women’s strength adapted by Roger Bayley from the Old Testament story of Ruth. The opera was written in 1996 by Arcady’s own Artistic Director/Resident Composer, Ronald Beckett and is a part of his opera trilogy. The work was recorded in 2007 and the CD has been aired in its entirety on radio several times in Europe.
– Ruth: soprano, female lead: she is compassionate, loyal
– Boaz: baritone, male lead; taken by Ruth at first sight, compassionate and loving
– Naomi: mezzo-soprano, supporting female lead; elderly mother-in-law of Ruth, Ruth’s trusted advisor
– Narrator: tenor, supporting male lead, non-dramatic role; moves the narrative forward
– Orpah: soprano, small supporting role; Ruth’s sister-in-law, contrasting personality to Ruth
– Moabite Women 1, Moabite Women 2, Moabite Women 3, small supporting roles; Ruth’s life advisors
– Malchi-Shua, small supporting role; comic relief
– $1000 for a lead role (Ruth, Boaz, Narrator)
– $800 for a supporting role (Naomi)
– $500 for small supporting roles (Orpah, Moabite Women, Malchi-Shua)
c) Housing/ Transportation
Participants will be billeted for the duration of their stay.
Travel and food costs are at the costs of the participant.
d) Performance Location:
Sanderson Centre for the Performing Arts, Brantford, Ontario, Canada
e) Performance Date:
June 23, 2017, 7:30pm
A complete application will include:
– A high resolution headshot
– Current Resume
– Short biography
– Video including:
- One opera aria post 1950 in English
- One piece by Ronald Beckett (transitions available upon request)
MP3’s are available for download here.
1. Your God Shall Be My God
2. The Poet sings of Ruth
1.This quiet dust
2. To see the world
3. Secondary Aria-The Poet sings of Ruth
1. When I was one-and-twenty
1. On First Looking into Chapman’s Homer
2. A Poison Tree
3. That Crazed Girl
– Letter of intent including (max 400 words):
- Why you would like to be involved in this program?
- How the program will benefit your career?
- What role you would like to perform and what makes you right for the part?
Deadline: December 1, 2016
Submit to: All applications are to be emailed to: email@example.com. Please upload your video to YouTube and select “Unlisted” as the Privacy setting under the upload icon. Please include the YouTube link in your application.
Application Fee: $50.00 to be paid through PayPal
For additional information contact: firstname.lastname@example.org